The Big Stellar Space Drop
2 Billion Lumens for Everyone
Just about $129 million USD
September 9, 2019
UPDATE #3 October 8: 💖 Good news, everyone! The Space Drop is back on, and the requirements to register are now looser.
At Keybase, we've blogged before why the Stellar network is our favorite cryptocurrency technology.
- Transactions take only 5 seconds and cost under 1¢
- Stellar does not burn mountains of fossil fuels
- Stellar has a "path payments" system for magical currency and token conversions.
The last point is special. I've got US dollars, and you want Japanese yen? No problem - 5 seconds later I've sent you yen, around the world.
The Stellar Development Foundation is sending out 100 million Lumens on November 15, divided equally among all qualifying Keybase users. There are no strings attached; SDF is a non-profit and it wants to give them out. Keybase makes it easy.
SDF is dropping 100 million more on December 15. And again the month after that.
In total, they are giving 2 billion Lumens (roughly $129 million USD) out using Keybase over the next 20 months. On the 15th of each month,SDF will give the next batch, divided equally among everyone.
Those who join now will participate every month until the end. So people who join earlier will get more.
You must join Keybase, which is free and open source. And you must prove you're a real human, by receiving an SMS.
You must verify a phone number in a country that hasn't attacked us with fake accounts. The current list of acceptable countries is: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Ecuador, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Greece, Guyana, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela.
We will edit this list if necessary.
Canada is excluded due to our inability to verify Canadian phone numbers were not purchased at scale.
If you already have a Keybase account and appear to be registered in your wallet, you do not need to add a phone number. This phone number solution was added after you qualified for other reasons.
Note that we already distributed 100MM Lumens on September 9. The next giveaway was supposed to be October 15, but we have pushed it back to November 15 due to the mad scramble of re-inventing requirements. If you qualify for the airdrop, you will receive your Lumens within a couple days of Nov. 15.
Keybase is a free, secure alternative to Slack, WhatsApp, Telegram, and other chat apps. It supports groups big and small, communities, and teams. Inside Keybase, all chats are end-to-end encrypted. Imagine if someone broke into Slack's servers and stole and published your company's or family's messages? It would be devastating. Keybase's encryption makes a cloud break-in impossible.
And because Keybase is powered by public key technology, it also can understand cryptocurrencies. So all you have to do is install the app, and you can register for the free Lumens.
Nov 15, 2019.
The Finest of Fine Print
- If you already registered, there's nothing for you to do. Just confirm inside the Keybase app.
- Each unique natural person can participate in the airdrop just once.
- No individual recipient will get more than $500 USD worth of Lumens.
- This is from SDF, and neither we nor they accept financial responsibility for failed attempts to collect. If you lose access to your account or "reset" it, fail to register correctly, or even if we have a bug...adios wealth.
- Similarly, if there's any bug in Keybase's Stellar wallet - which is new - and you lose your Lumens, we accept no responsibility.
- We don't control your private Stellar keys, so we really can't help you.
- SDF reserves the right to stop sending Lumens early, with one month notice.
- If something outside Keybase's or SDF's control prevents SDF from executing this giveaway, either in total or for specific users, we are sorry in advance. But we accept no responsibility for that.
- Basically, don't get mad at us if something goes wrong here. It's a gift.
- We reserve the right to blacklist users, even after registering. If you appear to use a bot or multiple accounts to sign up for Keybase, we'll blacklist you. Similarly, if you appear to come from fishier IP's, we may exclude you.
- If we have any technical issues, downtime, or anything like that, we will most likely extend giveaway dates. (In fact we just did this!) Attacking Keybase's meager servers won't get you more cryptocurrency, it'll only delay you and let more people in.
- The first month's giveaway was special, because many of the recipients didn't have Stellar wallets yet. If anyone from the first month _never_ activates their wallet (to accept their Lumens), the Lumens can be returned to SDF. We'll likely do that after 6 months or so.
...but everyone who signs up takes a tiny bit away from you. 😜